We’ve mainly been working on the deck structure this week, but I’ve included the picture below to show that the centreboard case is now just about finished, and to illustrate the templates we’ll use to make the sole boards. Like everything the sole boards are more complicated to make than I first thought. In particular you want to avoid any pointed pieces of wood which is what you would get if you laid the planks straight from end to end. Anyway Carson is working on these!
We also epoxied in the rudder tube – here’s Carson positioning the rudder to ensure everything lines up as it should. You can see the bronze rudder foot temporarily fixed with rods. The only item to finish now in the bottom of the boat is the mast step. We’ve made this but can’t finalise its position and cut the slot for the mast foot until we have the mast partners in place (which form part of the deck structure).
Here are the deck beams epoxied and screwed in place for the foredeck. There’s not much of a camber to the deck so we were able to jig saw these out of solid wood (douglas fir) rather than laminating them. This is good news because it saves a lot of time which is now very short! They involved cutting some multiple angles where the ends meet the hull, which is always interesting!
In this picture you can also see the end of the carlins. These are the deck beams that go fore and aft. These were made from three strips of western red cedar with extra laminates put in where the bend is most extreme, and then glued in their actual position with some temporary half beams in place, to achieve the correct shape. This worked pretty well although they did need some fairing to obtain the right shape and to ensure both sides were the same.
Here are the beams in place for the aft deck. You can also see the other end of the carlins, a half beam and the rudder tube in place. All together there are 21 beams and half beams to make, so the next job is to finish the half beams – these support the carlins and create the cockpit shape.
On Thursday we turned Lucille over, Bob & Dan’s boat. If you’ve ever wondered how you manually turn a boat this sequence of photos should illustrate. You can actually turn quite big boats using this technique. I can vouch for this having been part of a group of about 40 people who turned a 38 foot sailing gig!
Over the weekend Richard & Jan are here and they will help us prime the inside of the boat, complete the glassing of the rudder and put a final coat of oil on the spars. The boom is now finished (thanks to Harry) so all 7 spars and the tiller are done. By the end of the coming week we should be putting on the ply sub deck.